Monday, October 09, 2006

Ragamuffin

So I just finished reading this really great book, it may be one of my new favorites. It's called the Ragamuffin Gospel by Brennan Manning. I highly recommend it. Besides having a funny title, it has some great insight into what we often times miss in Christianity, at least in American Evangelical Christianity, the gospel of grace.

Too often we may say we agree with grace but we don't live grace. What I mean by that is we know that we are saved by grace alone, yet we still live as though we are trying to prove something to God for Him to love us more. It can't happen. Manning explains that once we can come to grips with what sinners are (us) we can truly be free to see who Christ is (love) and in this grace we are able to live a life for Him rather than live life toward Him. We are but ragamuffins (poor in spirit) and in accepting that we can accept Christ's grace.

I am happy to accept Christ grace and be freed from the bondage of trying to do anything. It is by God's grace alone that I am anything. Take a look at 2 Corinthians 12:9-10 today and think about what it looks like to live that out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home