Monday, August 28, 2006

Faith builder

Sometimes I find myself praying for more faith. I feel that if I only had a little bit more faith, being a disciple would be easier. That if I had that faith what Jesus says in John 8:31-32 would be easier. Take a look at John 8:12-32.

In this passage we see Jesus being questioned about his testimony, that is, being questioned about who He is. He speaks to those questioning Him telling them that "if they really knew Him they would know the father who sent Him (vs 19). This is a pretty important thing for us today. It is actually the whole point of this website/blog/devotion, that we can know Jesus better. Even though Jesus was saying some tough things, people continued to believe in Him. In verse 31 and 32 Jesus speaks to those who do believe in Him. This is the real challenge to believers when Jesus says
If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.

Sometimes in life, when we feel less than free, is when we feel like we are lacking in faith. In this circumstance our first response should always be not to worry but to pray (Philippians 4:6-7). The next step is to know Jesus more. But there is one more step that we can do, and this one is most often forgotten. This step is best summed up by Blaise Pascal, a 17th century theologian:
'I should have given up a life of pleasure,' they say, 'if I had faith.' But I tell you: 'you would soon have faith if you gave up a life of pleasure. Now it is up to you to begin. If I could give you faith, I would...(816)

When we give up our worldly "pleasures" to hold to Christ's teaching, we will find that we are set free from the bondage of this world. And in doing so, we will see that Christ has given us the faith all along. What is blocking us from being true disciples, from finding true faith, from being set free by the Truth?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home