Tuesday, August 22, 2006

I'm not religious.

Figuring out why you believe what you believe is one of the defining points of one's faith. I know this was true for me. It was at this point that my faith became a real relationship and not just something I did. It doesn't mean I didn't have points where I felt like my faith wasn't strong, but I didn't have to worry about it being somebody else's decision any more.

In John 5:39-40, Jesus is talking to the religious leaders of his time. He was telling them something that can be true for many Christians in America I believe. Jesus says this:
You diligently study the Scriptures because you think that by them you posses eternal life. These are the scriptures that testify about me, and yet you refuse to come to me to have life.

We need to remember that it is not the words of scripture, the do's and don'ts that bring us to life, but the relationship we have with Christ. The scriptures are a way for us to learn about Him, but they do not take the place of Him. Our faith is not about being "religious" (which is good because I don't think I would be very good at being "religious") but it is about loving Jesus and His father because they first loved us.

Let us find new ways daily (in the scriptures and our lives)to love God more. Because it is only in this belief that we will truly find life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home