Monday, June 05, 2006

I'm a disciple?

Did you know that you can believe what Jesus has to say but not be a disciple?

You may be asking yourself, “what is a disciple anyway and do I really want to be one?” This is a good place to start.

Being a disciple is an extremely important part of being a Christian. It is actually what makes us a Christian. Back when Jesus was on the earth before he was crucified, there were many who believed that Jesus really was the Son of God. But Jesus did not yet call them disciples.

Jesus says in John 8:31 “If you hold to my teaching you are really my disciples” or as the Message puts it “If you stick with this, living out what I tell you, you are my disciples for sure.”

So what we see here is that we need to obey what Jesus taught and continue to follow them in our lives, only then will we “know the truth and the truth will set [us] free (32).”

This is the basis for what Jesus wants for us and for those around us. When Jesus was just about to ascend back into Heaven he tells his followers in Matthew 28:19-20 “Go and make disciples [of Jesus in] all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”

Jesus wants us to be and to make disciples—followers of Him. He has promised to be with us until the end, will you follow him until the very end?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home